Friday, November 03, 2006

Impact

We have all received the chain emails, you know the ones I mean. They go on and on about how important each day is, how important it is to live like this is your last day. So often I read them and delete them.

Yesterday I received an email from the brother of a dear friend. Ellen was Sophie's speech therapist for 2 years. She is a wonderful person, and became like a member of our family. She is married, and has two children, a little boy who is almost 3, and a baby girl who is 9 ms old. The last time I saw her was right before she delivered her baby girl. She came to visit Sophie and to meet Michael and Emily. On Monday, Ellen's husband died quite suddenly and unexpectedly. He was 40 years old.

I attended his funeral today, and it was one of the most moving funeral services I have ever been to. The outpouring of love shown for this man amazed me. Through the eulogies given by his brother and father I came to know him in a different way. He was truely a man who wanted to give back to others. Ellen also wrote a letter to him to say goodbye, and her brother read it for her. She has always been an eloquent person, and this letter was no exception. It was written with grace and dignity, and most of all, love. Through her words we all saw how much her husband meant to her, and how much he will be missed.

I am not really sure what compelled me to blog about this. I guess because today was such a wakeup call for me, I wanted to share that. This I do know: today made me appreciate my husband and children in a way that I didn't yesterday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just ran across this on someone's blog tonight:

Blessings in Disguise (by emily matthews)

The world is full of miracles to those who recognize them,
But we have to look the right way since God sometimes will disguise them.
He shines His light in places where we’d least expect Him to,
And often does the opposite of what we think He’ll do….
He has a way of bringing out the best within the worst
The moment we stop worrying and choose to put Him first,
And if we do, He’ll pull us through and help us find the door
That opens to the very thing that we’d been looking for.