Sunday, October 19, 2008

Pumpkin Time

It's no secret that Fall is my favorite season. Maybe it's because of all the memories associated with growing up in the Northeast, but that first hint of Fall in the air makes me terribly nostalgic. We have had a very pleasant Fall so far, and now the mornings and evenings are chilly, which is so nice.

When you have your own family, you get to make your own traditions. One of ours is going to Mt Zion's pumpkin patch to get our pumpkins. It's really nothing special, no drive up to the mountains, no hay ride or farm animals. Just a 5 minute ride in the car to the kids' preschool, where they Youth Group sells pumpkins every year.
There's something to be said for the familiar. And maybe I am just a creature of habit. It really hit me how long we have been doing this little pumpkin thing when the lady asked us if we needed any help. "Oh no", we said, "we've been coming here since our oldest was a baby, and she just turned 7." 7! How did that happen? Wasn't this her, just yesterday?

No, that's her at age 3, the same age Michael and Emily will be in 2 weeks. That also seems hard to believe. Maybe all our Fall birthdays contribute to my nostalgia as well.

So, we carefully pick our pumpkins and gourds, then go home to arrange them. Not like we used to, with bales of haystraw and a new scarecrow every year. That was easy when Sophie was the only one around. Now with three those big displays don't seem that important. Just a few pumpkins on the front steps is fine with me. They'll get moved and dropped a bunch before Halloween actually arrives anyway.

I really do like the Fall. It seems to scream "Home" to me. And this year,our home is a much better place for all of us. For that, I am eternally grateful.

6 comments:

StephB said...

: ) I'm glad you hsd fun at the pumpkin patch and for the other stuff too.

Mike Maier said...

What a fall family! Great post. We will have to get ?James to pack up some leaves to send down- he is into hiding them around the house.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great pumpkin patch to me!!! True Dar there is nothing like the fall in N.J...Happy B-Day to all the Goulds!!! Love, The Jackson (Towson) Maier's

Dorothy Gould said...

Thanks Kel! Sophie and I are going to see HSM3 tomorrow....have you been yet? She is over the moon, as you can imagine....

StephB said...

Dor, you have to tell me how to be a godmother. I'm at a loss. Help!

Kelly said...

Aunt Dor,

That must have been my Dad...not me...But the fall in Maryland is nice as well :-)

I have not yet seen HSM3! I will be seeing it soon though believe me! What did you think of it? Sophie?

It looks spectacular...