Sunday, May 09, 2010

Sophie's First Communion

Yesterday was a wonderful day. So many times you can be disappointed with a day that you have been looking forward to for a long time. There was none of that yesterday...at all. From the moving Mass where Sophie received Jesus for the first time, to the party afterward; it was a truly wonderful day.

I found myself worrying about the details in the days leading up to it, that is typical for me. I stayed up late on Friday night to make sure all the little things were taken care of. Mary was here helping me, and I could not have pulled it off without her. Or without Terry. He is not only incredibly helpful in so many ways, but he is always there to reassure me and calm me down when I start to panic. He can see the big picture so much better than I can at times.

So many people were able to be with us and make the day extra special. Even Sophie's teacher came, which honestly, was the highlight of the guest list for her. It is all she talked about in the days leading up Saturday, and it even inspired her to keep her room clean. It goes to show what an influence a child's teacher can have on them. Knowing that her teacher is Catholic and knew all about First Communion had a huge impact on her understanding of the sacrament, and how universal it is. Thank you Miss McDonald!


Our friend and neighbor Rick did us an invaluable service by coming over at 8:45am to take family photos before we left for Mass. I cannot tell you what a gift this was! It totally put my mind at ease about having to try and take pictures myself, because I knew Rick got some great shots. Here's some of his work:


With me and Aunt Mary, who is Sophie's Godmother.



Below is my absolute favorite of the day, and ironically enough, it was the first photo he snapped of Sophie.

And some of my pictures taken after we got home. Note the difference!

Our great friends and neighbors Sylvia and Michel had a table for 4 with Michael and Emily.


Their son Colby is a great friend to Sophie. He also made his First Communion yesterday, and had the honor of bringing up the gifts. He did so well and looked so handsome in his jacket and tie, it brought a tear to my eye. And yes, I did get choked up presenting Sophie to Fr. Peter, Terry and I both were wiping our eyes as she received.


Sophie and her best bud Noah. He sat through the entire Mass with his mom, and was so excited to see her, it was very sweet. So glad they have remained so close all these years.

With Grandpa and Grandma Maier. My mother was a Eucharistic Minister during the Mass, which gave her a great view as each child came up to receive with their parents.

With the Gould family. Uncle Jack and Aunt Karen came home early from FL to make sure they didn't miss it. We are glad to have them back in Atlanta!

And lastly, my apologies to my mother in law Pam. She made the very early start from Peachtree City to be with us for the day, and I did not get a decent picture of her with Sophie. I am hoping she has a shot on her camera that is decent.

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Great pictures, Dorothy! I'm so glad it was such a wonderful day for all of you!