Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Sleep: A Parent's Best Friend

The big news in the Gould household? Michael and Emily are now down for the night between 8 and 9pm, and wake up only one time to eat. Quite an accomplishment in my book! The past couple of weeks had been rough, as Michael had been waking himself up every hour with his flailing arms. Between trying to find his thumb, and his very active startle reflex, he was miserable, and I was miserable, since his crying woke up Emily. Trying to settle two babies back to sleep at once at is not a fun job, espescially when Mom is sleep deprived and grumpy. I finally bought a special blanket at Babies R Us, which is made just for swaddling. It has a pocket for his feet, and velcro to secure the sides. We had been swaddling him earlier, but had stopped a month ago, as he got out of any blanket we used. Well, this blanket works like a charm. I never thought I would have to resort to such an item, but it is totally worth it. We also moved Emily to the guest room, and she will stay there until they are both sleeping all night long. I have not had the guts to let them cry it out, as they do take an entire 6 oz. when they eat at 3am. Sophie started sleeping through on her own at 10 weeks, and she was breastfed, I thought for sure my formula twins would be going all night at this point!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Bless your HEART! That is good news! That blanket sounds like the ticket. Hope you get lots of rest and feel like a millon soon!