Sunday, December 30, 2007

Making Merry

This post is delayed due to the wonderful stomach bug I received for my birthday. 48 hours later and I am finally feeling better. Let's just say it's hard to change a diaper when you can't even stand up without passing out.

But, onto better times...we had a great Christmas. As Terry commented several times, this is really a magical time for Sophie. Her belief in Santa, reindeer, elves, the whole kit and kaboodle is so earnest. She received "magical reindeer food" (oatmeal ground up with blue glitter; the glitter attracts Santa and his sleigh) as a party favor earlier in the month, and as instructed, spread it all over the front yard before going to bed. Seeing her try to cover as much ground as possible with her girly throw was funny.

We try hard to instill the true meaning of Christmas, and in keeping with that, before we see the tree, we first go to the Nativity to put Baby Jesus in the manger. Sophie was wondering whose turn it would be this year...I think she's got that job covered for at least a few more years. She surprised us by asking to sing Happy Birthday to Baby Jesus. Emily and Michael joined in too. A parenting moment that brings a tear to your eye.

Here's her reaction seeing Lily (the elf) camped out in the tree. Lily is supposed to leave Christmas Eve, but Sophie left Santa a note asking if she could stay until New Year's Day. Nice man that he is, Santa agreed. Lily, however, hasn't moved from the tree since. I told Sophie she must be tired after all that flying back and forth....I know I am tired of coming up with new hiding spots. Can't tell you how many times it hit me at 2am that we hadn't moved her.

To say Michael liked his Tonka truck might be an understatement.

Sophie's plasma car (flatma car, as she calls it) was a big hit as well. Notice my new chair in the background. SO much nicer on my back as I sit and type this. Thank you Santa Terry!

Emily really like her drawing desk. It drove Sophie crazy that she opened one gift, and played with it for 20 minutes, perfectly content to not open anything else. And made me realize, that again, less is more.

All dressed up later in the afternoon.

Grandma and Grandpa Maier came over in the late afternoon for dinner. The Gould grandparents came over the day after Christmas. It was nice to spread out the visits, and continue the festivities for another day. Also, I think everyone got a better visit, with not so much chaos. It certainly was less chaotic for me. I actually relaxed on Christmas Day, and enjoyed being with my family. Isn't that what it's all about?

1 comment:

StephB said...

I like how everyone had to sit in the new truck. : )