Monday, March 24, 2008

Are we Green?

I didn't know St Patrick's Day would be such a big deal at Sophie's school. At first I thought it strange, being a public school they are not allowed to celebrate Christmas, Halloween, etc. Then I realized that the emphasis wasn't on the Saint part of the holiday, but rather the Irish, green and leprechaun part. I did tell Sophie the story of St Patrick, and she said to me, "No way, Mom, there really was someone who did all that?" Sigh, guess I am falling down on the job. Anyway, the day was fun and here are some of the highlights.


They had an event called the "Eating of the Green" with their 5th grade buddy class. Each child had to bring in a green food. We made green cupcakes and decorated them with green icing, sprinkles and gum drops. Note my hand restraining Emily, what she would have given to dive right in.

Each child was also asked make and bring in a leprechaun trap. This was one I passed right along to Terry. Just a sign of bigger projects to come.

The leprechaun costume she made in class. The mustache is the best part, it fits right up into their nose. That spawned lots of discussion about other people's germs, not sharing with them, etc.
And to cap off the day we had green pancakes for dinner, along with green grapes.

I'm not really sure how Irish we are, but it was fun pretending for a day!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of a lepechaun trap, did anyone actually get one?
Mary

StephB said...

Super green pancakes! I'll have to try those (or green oatmeal) next year. : )

Dorothy Gould said...

Mare, Clare's trap caught the leprechaun while they were at lunch. I talked with her mother and she said her husband went nuts making it, she had to remind him several times that it was Clare's project not his. He went to Michael's and bought felt in every color of the rainbow so he could be accurate. Pretty funny.

Mike Maier said...

Amazing! I love the photos and the stories. Are no religious holidays celebrated at all? Why not just do Channukah and Christmas, and Ramadan, etc.-- Wouldn't learning about holidays important to other religions be a good idea? Mike and I went to a break in the fast of Ramadan at a Mosque in Enschede with the college Christian group. It was really interesting. Or would they have to tie in with the Druid holidays and every single thing out there? Would some parent show up and demand you celebrate the holidays for the religion they invented???
Oh- this is Kat by the way, Mike wants to make sure I designate, so that our comments are not confused.

Dorothy Gould said...

Kat, All good questions...during December they did a unit on Holidays around the Globe, Sophie brought in her wooden shoes on the day they did the NL. They did talk about the meaning of Christmas during that unit, but the decorations in the classroom were more along the lines of snowmen and Santa, rather than Baby Jesus. Some of their worksheets were Hanakah themed as well. One of the crafts they made during that time was a stained glass window-like picture, their one Jewish classmate had a dreidel on hers, all the rest had pointsettias or bells, but no Baby Jesus. Even their break is called the Winter Break, not Christmas vacation. And you are absolutely right, some or many parents would show up protesting if they taught one or even all the religious traditions. We have had parents protesting the fact that on Friday they are allowed to get an ice cream sandwich with their lunch. My eyes have been opened this year as to the crazies out there.....

Mike Maier said...

wow!

Anonymous said...

My mom used to dye our milk green!

--daughter of the self-promclaimed Patty O'Maier :-)

GrandmaMaier said...

My Mother was irish on both sides and Dad was on his Mother's side. I don't know how irish that makes you but I was always very Irish on St. Patrick's Day. Great job on cupcakes and box.

Susan Heim said...

That leprechaun costume made me laugh out loud! Having preschoolers myself, I can just imagine the discussions they had about sticking something up their noses! My kids have also come home from preschool "in costume." One day they both had on chef hats and aprons they had made. It was too cute. For Easter, they both came out to the car wearing bunny ears. We went to the library afterward, where they continued to wear them! Everyone commented on the adorable little bunnies. A proud Mommy moment...