Thursday, March 27, 2008

Eggs anyone?

Michael and Emily attended 4 egg hunts in a row last week: at school, at Holly's, in our neighborhood, and finally, in our backyard on Easter afternoon. Each time they did a little bit better, although the allure of sitting down with the first egg they found and opening it was too much to pass up. That was fine with me, how many plastic eggs does a 2 year old need?

My friend Holly started having an Easter Party on Good Friday when Sophie and her crew were 3. Now they are all in Kindergarten and had to miss it. It was all the 4 year old siblings and my little guys. Holly has it down to a science: it is all outside, the kids play, we dye eggs, pizza is for lunch, then the egg hunt begins. The weather cooperated again this year. It was Michael and Emily's first time attending, and they hung right in there with the big kids.

Strolling in Holly's driveway


Checking out the first egg found

Terry and Sophie went early to our neighborhood Egg Hunt to help set up. Sophie found the egg with the grand prize ticket for her age group, so she was able to pick out a HUGE stuffed bunny to take home. Later on, she told me that she and Dad had hidden those eggs during set up, and realized which one had the grand prize in it. Terry told her to make sure she found that one first. I did admonish both of them that actually, that was cheating. But hey, if you come early to set up, I guess you may be entitled to a little advantage.

Not too sure about this large bunny....but I guess I'll check him out.

Sophie sprinting to what I now know was her "self-hidden" grand prize egg.

Our Easter Day at home was very nice. Mass went well, we got there in time to secure a seat, and that was a feat in itself! All the grands came for dinner at our house later on. Pam's son Paul was in town with his son Robbie. They flew down from IL so Robbie could spend the week at Grandma's for his Spring Break. He is 9, and Sophie was worried he wouldn't want to play with her as she is only 6. As I predicted, they got along famously. He is a really nice little guy, and listening to their dinner conversation was a riot. We introduced the kids to the concept of a kid's table, and that really made for a much more pleasant dinner for all. I can see that this will be the way to go at any holiday from now on.



5 comments:

StephB said...

Beautiful photos and wow, I'm impressed with all of your hunts! Dagny bit her tongue during the homily, so I had to dash down the aisle and out the door with my hand over her mouth while she screamed. Usually the cheerios work so well to keep her quiet . . .

Anonymous said...

a giant step forward in establishing the kid's table. I would be laughing inside when Soph told me that story but trying to look like the moral parent outwardly...Nice tan grass! Mary

Dorothy Gould said...

MAre, That's Holly's tan grass, it's Bermuda, I think, and doesn't green up till June. However, it has to be cut all year round, so the kids were full of it after the hunt.

Yes, I was trying to be the voice of moral reason, but I don't think I got that far. She actually found both grand prize eggs, but I strongly encouraged her to give the second one to another child who had only found a few eggs. Later on, she told me she really didn't want to do that, but knew I would "pack her up and go home" if she pitched a fit about it. No true generosity there, just a fear of Mom, but I'll take that for now!

T Maier Jr. said...

We've gone from Easter egg hunt to hunting for the snooze button. Kind of miss those days.

Shocking news re planting the grand prize - how soon till the soccer moms are at your door demanding a recount?

Is that grass Bermuda or Zoysia?

Elizabeth said...

Aah, the kids table.... good times, good times!

We love an easter egg hunt. We hope you will make it to Homey-bille to come to ours soon.