Thursday, May 08, 2008

In the Yard

We have enjoyed some really nice weather lately. This year we have actually had a Spring, it hasn't gone directly to 85 degrees. The warmer, but not hot, weather has been so enjoyable. Terry and I are also enjoying the chance to get our yard back in shape, another one of those things that lapsed over the past couple of years.

Sophie not only helped with the pine straw this year (which was good, b/c I do not do pine straw, love to prune and trim, but am not a fan of the PS) but suffered an injury as well. Terry let her use the box cutter to cut the twine off the bale, it slipped and she got a small puncture in her thigh. Nothing serious, after coming in for Mom's assesment of it, she was back out with a bandage.

I departed from impatiens in my front and back pots this year, and went with zinnias instead. The non-flowering plant is a virginia creeper, it should fill the pot.


I don't know the name of these; I call them "pinks", but they come out every year and last a few weeks. They are a favorite of Sophie and Emily; each time we go outside they pick some for me, and for their hair.
Here is the other zinnia pot in the backyard, the smaller plant here is called a bluet, it too should fill the pot.
It's hard to eat breakfast with the sun in your eyes, Emily likes to wear her shades at the table.
Not Mike, just bring me my waffle please. I'll play with Thomas until it's ready, thanks.


Saturday mornings are the best for catching up on all that TV you missed during the school week. Here's Mike helping Sophie get through "Scooby Doo and the Loch Ness Monster". She's only seen it about a dozen times, but it never gets old. He is her TV buddy, Emily could care less about it. She would rather play on her own, or follow me around. I think she realizes that's her chance to have me all to herself, smart girl.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dor - the "pinks" are called dianthus - Miss LT

StephB said...

OH, LT beat us. Doug and I used to have those in our front yard. They are evergreen and spread quickly.

Mike Maier said...

love those photos-- Em with her glasses and Sophie clutching Mike-- priceless
Kat

Anonymous said...

Dor, where's the photo of the injury? Mary

Dorothy Gould said...

Mare, It was so tiny, not even worth posting. Was really more of a puncture, I was worried (needlessly, it has healed fine) since she did it with a dirty blade, but no tetnus ensued.