Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Angels on Call


When we found out we were having twins, I tried to talk to many mothers of multiples so that I could get advice. They all told me the same thing: "You will need help!" Most people said to get help during the day, but we soon found that the nights were MUCH harder to get through. When Mike and Em were both eating every 2 hours all night long, it was brutal. My friend Kathleen told me about Angels On Call . They are a doula service and they provide help at night. Mary is our favorite by far, and has been helping us since the babies were about 5 weeks old, which is when we both hit the wall. I guess if you only had twins, and could sleep during the day, it wouldn't have been as bad, but I still wanted to participate in Sophie's life, and be able to take her to school and dance. (Although that didn't become a regular thing until we found Miss Sity, but that is another post) Mary arrives at 10:30 pm and stays till 6:30 am. She does the baby laundry, empties the dishwasher, puts all the dishes away, makes bottles, and of course, feeds the babies throughout the night. At the beginning, we had her 3 nights a week. Currently, she is only coming one night a week, as they each only eat once a night, for the most part. It is so nice to be able to close the door, and know that you can sleep undisturbed till 6:30, which is when Sophie usually wakes up. Plus Mary always go above and beyond, doing any laundry she can find, picking up and generally leaving the house cleaner than it was. And she is a great source for the many questions I have had, she has helped tremendously with finding the right nipple to feed cereal bottles and with getting Emily to eat better even with her reflux issues. She even offered to be the one to come when we decide to let them cry it out, so I wouldn't have to go thru that! Although I don't think it will come to that, they are pretty much going longer and longer each night.

We can't say enough about the service they have provided. It is so nice to know that your children are in good hands, and we know Mary is as attached to them as we are to her. It will be hard to say good bye.

PS. Thanks Steph, I got the link to work!

2 comments:

StephB said...

What a cool service! I am forwarding a link to your blog to my friend Karen who also has twins about the same age as yours.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dorothy, So it only took me a month to finally look at the nice compliment you gave my company. Thank you so much for all of the wonderful things that you said and for the link to Angels on Call, Inc. We are truly the ones that are blessed to have wonderful people like you that share your babies with us. Thank you so much, take care, Sheryl Kennedy