Thursday, May 03, 2007

18 Month Checkup

Michael and Emily had their 18 month checkup yesterday. Here we are on the way to the doctor. It's much easier taking their photo when you have a captive audience.



They are both doing well, gaining weight and inches. Here are the stats:

Emily is just shy of 21 lbs, which is the 8th percentile. Her height is 30 1/2 ", which is the 15th percentile.

Michael weighs a full 21 lbs, which is the 5th percentile, and his height is 32 1/2 ", which is the 55th percentile. Now you know why Terry has nicknamed him Big Slim, he is long and lean.

Something new since Sophie was a toddler, they now administer the Communication and Symbolic Behavior Scales-Developmental Profile at the 18 month visit. I tried to find a link to it, but everything I found was extremely technical. It consisted of our answering a bunch of questions like "does your child use meaningful gestures" "do they use toys appropriately" "do they try to get your attention by vocalizing", "can they make it clear when they are unhappy". The purpose is to screen for developmental delays. They both scored on the low end, and the recommendation is that we come back in 3 mths to reassess them. Our pediatrician was not overly concerned, and neither are we. We already knew they lag behind where Sophie was at this age, but that comparison isn't fair, as they were 5 weeks early. And I have to say, part of the results could be due to our poor ability to correctly answer the questions. Who can remember who does what sitting in the waiting room trying to keep an eye on two curious toddlers? Now that we know what we are supposed to be looking for, I have a feeling they will score MUCH better the next time.

3 comments:

StephB said...

Is that where they ask if your kid can kick a ball? If so, we did that too!

I said that I thought Dagny could do it at her 18 month check-up a few weeks back, but I'd never actually commanded it. We tried yesterday and she can do it, but there is the ever-present danger that the ball will get lodged under her kicking foot and knock her down. Do you think that negates the kicking ability?

If the photos and your stories are any guide (and I think they are), your kids look great to me.

Dorothy Gould said...

Steph, That is funny about Dagny and the ball. That's like when they ask: are they using crayons? Why would I give them crayons, they just go right in the mouth....so I guess the answer to that would be no. It's funny b/c since answering all those questions, we find ourselves "testing" them. I think part of it is #2 (and #3) just don't get the attention to detail that #1 had. But I am not worried, they will get there. I may not be aware of it, but they will get there!

Sharon said...

I hate having to answer all of those questions, because I know that I won't be able to remember. And I would also think, "Am I supposed to be letting them dress themselves?" Who has time for that?

I agree with Steph, two great looking kids.