Monday, May 07, 2007

Big Day for Sophie


Today was Kindergarten Orientation. It was quite a scene in the cafeteria as the parents and children gathered. We were pleasantly surprised to know more families than we had originally thought. There are two girls Sophie will know from our neighborhood, two from dance class, and one from swim lessons. Also, one of her current classmates. Sophie doesn't play a lot with this girl at school, but today they held hands the entire time. I heard Sophie say to her, "We need to stick together Madeline, because we know each other." I usually don't sense reluctance in her, but today I did. She started out sitting on Terry's lap, then mine. At the beginning of the tour, she held tightly to my hand. However, by the end, she and Madeline had found each other, and were following our student guide (a third grader, giving a guided tour to a group of 20 parents and kids!) very closely, not wanting to miss a thing.

We were impressed with the school, a far cry from what schools were like when I was in Kindergarten!! We saw the Art room, the Music room, the Gym, the Media Center (library for those of you over 40) and got to eat breakfast in the cafeteria. The favorite part for all the kids was getting to sit on the school bus while the driver explained the rules. Several of them asked him if he could take them for a ride. (he couldn't) I had thought she might be intimidated by the bus, but her excitement was visible. Seeing the school up close like that, and getting to meet some teachers and staff really helped alleviate my concerns as well.

After that was over, we rushed over to dance class to pick up her recital costume. We got there in time for her to make the last 10 minutes of gymnastics. And more importantly, to hear the explanation about how to tie the bow on the costume, what tights to wear, etc. The costumes are cute, I will have to post pics after recital day. So, a busy day for us. And another milestone for our Sophie.......

7 comments:

liotma said...

so, when did you start crying???

Dorothy Gould said...

actually, i didn't cry today at all. i think i am saving that for the last day of preschool.....

Anonymous said...

Sophomore in college here and I remember my kindergarden orientation EXACTLY..riding the school bus for the first time, seeing the cubbies, eating a cafeteria hot dog...Sophie will ROCK kindergarden! now, what will we be wearing the first day..? juuuust kidding!

Anonymous said...

whoops, thats from me..kelly.

note the 3am post time..catching up on family blogs is the perfect way to procrastinate..wireless internet access absolutely everywhere you go, a blessing or a curse?

back to relating the platonic theory of forms to the nature of piety..enoy kindergarden, soph! ;-) miss and love you, cousin kel

Anonymous said...

whoops, thats from me..kelly.

note the 3am post time..catching up on family blogs is the perfect way to procrastinate..wireless internet access absolutely everywhere you go, a blessing or a curse?

back to relating the platonic theory of forms to the nature of piety..enoy kindergarden, soph! ;-) miss and love you, cousin kel

Dorothy Gould said...

Kel, Well, I only have about 3 months to choose the outfit, so I'd better get hopping! And I have to say, I remember my first day of Kindergarten as well...waiting for the bus with Paul Castiglia and our mothers at the end of Arnold Ct. in Pompton Plains. I remember we each had an index card size name badge on as well. Sophie did enjoy her first cafeteria experience, the choices were a cinnamin roll or Froot Loops...how can you go wrong with that? Oh, and wireless internet...i think might be a curse, but since I'm procrastinating as I write this, maybe I'm not a good judge of that! love, AD

THE PHANTOM OF THE LANDFILL said...

Hey Dot - Paul Castiglia here - glad to see you didn't mention that awful navy blue sailor suit I had on! Oops... looks like I just did. Anyway, hope you are well... I stumbled upon your blog quite by accident! :) My parents still live in the same house on Arnold Court. I'm currently in Kearny with my wife of 3 years; we're hoping to move to one of any number of Jersey towns in the near future (although sometimes the high property taxes, high car insurance, and corrupt politicians make me pondering moving out of NJ). Anyways, please pass on my regards to your family.

P.S.: Is Bill still in Pompton Plains? Anyone other siblings still in Jersey?...