Thursday, July 12, 2007

A Big Ole Messy Mess

One of Sophie's favorite Laurie Berkner songs is "I'm A Mess". The lyrics describe a "a big ole messy mess", the child's shirt that contains all the meals of the day. I feel like that is how my house is on most days....walk through it, and you can see what was being played with and by whom.

Here is Sophie playing kitchen, she is wearing her Krispy Kreme hat (thank you Aunt Karen, Uncle Jack and Nana) holding a"cookbook", and has out most of my pots and pans. She even supplemented the scene with her own play food and dishes. I have to give her credit, she told me she was steaming broccoli, and when I lifted the lid to look in, she had my steamer in the pot, with her play broccoli. This is the type of mess that I really do not have a problem with, and actually welcome. Setting up and playing with this kitchen took the better part of an hour, and I was able to work around her in the real kitchen while she worked in hers. I think that was part of the allure. She enjoyed telling me, "Mom, be careful, this pot here is really hot and I don't want you to burn your foot." And when playtime was over, she cleaned it all up.

And here is the type of mess that isn't so great, but it is funny, and I am glad that I am now able to run and get the camera to document it instead of rushing to pick it all up right away. If truth be told, I think these crayons remained on the floor for at least another day. Unlike Sophie, Emily likes to make a mess out of anything. The more off limits it is, the better. This is why we still have the front room gated off, it is the supposed safe place for Sophie's stuff, so much for that theory. And no, Emily didn't scribble those pictures, they were some game of Sophie and Noah's that she was adding to.


Noah was over today, and he and Sophie played with their Webkinz (not on the computer) for over an hour in the basement. Again, a mess I can live with: It kept them busy, quiet and entertained while Michael and Emily were napping. I ate my lunch while reading the newspaper while they figured out what kind of food each Webkinz would eat, then found that food for them. And, when they were done, they cleaned up. A beautiful mess, really.


After they had their lunch, and we made popsicles and put them in the freezer, they did a craft from Michael's . Very messy, but very worth it. I got some bills paid and laundry done while this was going on. Note the Webkinz with their food on the highchair, they really wanted to watch the action.


As anyone knows, popsicles make the best mess of all, but that's ok, tonight was bath night.



Tomorrow the whole gang is coming to our house to play in the little pools and hang out. More messes will abound, I am sure, but that's ok. All too soon this time will be over, and some part of me will miss the mess.

No comments: