Thursday, July 05, 2007

Happy Birthday.....

to my oldest sister Clare, who lost her battle with lung cancer (non smoker's) in 1994. She was just a month shy of her 41st birthday when she died, and would have been 54 today if she had lived. Clare at 54...what would she be like?? Maybe by now she would have built up a big real estate business, as she got her license just a year or so before she became really ill. One thing is for sure, she would be proud of her kids, Frank, now 24 and Carly, now 21.

I was 28 when she died, and am now 41. Thinking of my life being over now is staggering. What must have gone through her mind when she knew her time was coming to an end? One consolation for us is that we were all there, at her bedside, when the time came. That was the first time I had ever experienced death so intimately, and the peacefulness of it surprised me.

I don't want this post to be a downer, but really a reminder that life is so fragile, and we must never take a day of it for granted. I love you Clare, you are never far from my thoughts, and oh how I wish you had gotten a chance to know my own family. Yes, I know you wouldn't be able to help yourself from giving me advice, but that's ok. That's what big sisters are for.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute....all you Maier women are amazing xo Joan

GrandmaMaier said...

I always thought I was the strong one but see that you, Dar are so much more. Your sister would have been so proud to read your tribute as I sit here crying. There is not a day goes by that we do no remember our oldest child - you have made my day. Thank you

Unknown said...

Beautiful, Dor.

Frank said...

Thank you Aunt Dor, very well put. I too often wonder how our family, and Carly and I would be different had she been around today. I scantily remember her last days, much of it I think has been suppressed, but I do remember all the family being there, which was very touching.