Thursday, October 25, 2007

Silly Me

Tonight after dinner, Sophie asked, "Mommy, can I help you wash dishes?" I looked at her in amazement, but was quick to answer "Sure!" She proceeded to help me empty the clean dishwasher and load it back up. She even wanted to learn how to wash dishes in the sink. When she was done with that, she asked if she could help me fold clothes. I, in return asked her if she was feeling alright. I told her we could fold clothes, as soon as I tended to Emily, who had just come into the room holding her bottom and saying, "poob on poddy", which as any mother can attest, means "poop on the potty". I checked her diaper and she hadn't gone, so off to the potty we went. 2 seconds later she hopped back up, and yes, she had done her poopy business in the potty. I was thrilled, we had to bring it in to show Sophie, who clapped and sang for her. Then we made a big deal about flushing it, and she even got a stamp on her hand. She has done this twice before in the past 2 weeks, but both times with the sitter.

Of course, whom else do you call to brag about your extremely helpful 6 year old and your incredibly talented almost 2 year old? That's right, your mother. Mom and I had a quick conversation about how mature Sophie was becoming, and how smart Emily is, and won't it be great if she tells me every time she needs to go, then maybe Michael will follow her lead, and oh, life will be great once we are out of diapers. Yay me.

10 minutes after I got off the phone, Emily again told me "poob on poddy". Only this time, she had gone in her diaper, but still wanted to sit her dirty bottom on the potty, because what fun it is just getting your bottom wiped, it's much better to make another mess for Mom to clean.

And at bedtime, when I told Sophie how proud I was of her for offering to help me, and how considerate that was, she replied with a big smile on her face, "Well, my friend Katie at school told me that if you do jobs for people, sometimes they pay you." Her look was so sly, I had to laugh.

4 comments:

Mike Maier said...

TRULY HILARIOUS!

Elizabeth said...

Great stories! I literally laughed out loud!! Sophie can come visit at my house anytime.

Bill Maier said...

that is funny - the ulterior motive from your 6 year old. yes - they know how to work it.

StephB said...

HA! Sophie is one smart cookie. : )