Saturday, November 03, 2007

And so it begins....

Today Sophie and I made a run to our new Target, just 5 minutes away, and chock full of brand new "stuff". We had some things to return, and were hoping to get her more pants for school and new pj's. Getting the right size for her is proving to be a challenge, so I decided to bite the bullet and have her try things on, something we rarely have to do. As you can imagine, this can be quite painful.

While I was looking through the pants for her size, she wandered over to look at the dresses. She came running back to me, excited about a dress she wanted for Christmas. We had unsuccessfully tried on 3 that morning that I had picked up at Kohls. They were variations on black velvet/blackwatch plaid, very cute, very traditional, and would match the hand me down of Sophie's that Emily will wear this year. Here is the dress she loved, just had to get, can I try it on and if it fits, can I PUULLLLEASE get it Mom? A bit different from what I had in mind....kind of Santa-ish, kind of Christmas-tacky-ish.....not even taffeta or velvet, for goodness sake....but (gasp) polyester!

Once in the dressing room, it was the first thing she tried on, and she loved it. It fits, it's SOOOO comfortable, can I wear it to PSR tomorrow? This is the first time she has been that excited about an article of clothing, and a dress no less. Envisioning the lack of arguments on Christmas Eve and Day, and seeing the look on her face, I agreed that we should get it. But no, we won't be wearing it to Mass tomorrow, I think it's a bit early for that.

Guess my little girl is coming into her own....no more Talbot's-style plaid for her, give her a fake fur collar and cuffs, and she is all set. Big sigh......

8 comments:

StephB said...

HA! I just bought the "I must have it" purple velvet dress for Annika yesterday. I'm glad to be here with you.

It's hard to find girl's dresses that aren't too babyish or too trashy (if you get my drift).

Dorothy Gould said...

Steph, I totally get your drift. Once we graduated into the girls section from the 4-6X, it seems that trashy is the general theme. I'm not quite sure who they are making some of these outfits for....man, I sound like my mother!

Jim and Ann said...

wait until you get to the juniors section...

Dorothy Gould said...

Ann, I shudder to think about it....maybe the preppy two shirt look will be back by then?

Anonymous said...

You know, it's all about looking like everyone else does... Mary

Mike Maier said...

soph's dress is VERY "White Christmas" --maybe she can put on a show for us this year. Will can play baby Jesus, Aunt Mary can direct.

Dorothy Gould said...

kat, i like it, we will have to start practicing our carols....

Elizabeth said...

I TOTALLY thought about you on Saturday when we were shopping in Target. I think Sophie's dress is lovely. Not "hoochie" at all. We found some really pretty dresses at Target, too. They LOVED the one Sophie picked, but did not have it in our size...