Tuesday, November 27, 2007

You're Stalling.....

I remember my mother using that phrase all the time when we were kids; and tonight it came back to haunt me.

As I was getting Michael ready for bed, he kept pushing the clean diaper away and was telling me, "go pa-tee, go pa-tee". I hesitated, as he has never done anything on the potty, and really, I just wanted to get everyone in pj's and in bed, and be done for the night. But....you never know when they might actually go. So I let him down; he looked up at me and said, "Ma-chel jump" as he hopped around the room. I reminded him that he was down to use the potty, and he ran over to it and sat down. He took a quick look down, said "psssssssss" then looked up at me and said "all done, yay ma-chel!" He hopped up, looked proudly in the potty and began clapping for himself. Sophie looked at me and said "Mom, that is one crazy kid!" I told her that might be so, but we should at least applaud his effort. So we did. He beamed, very proud of himself.

Who knows, maybe one day soon he will actually produce....at least he knows what it is supposed to sound like!

5 comments:

Mike Maier said...

I was just talking to James' teacher today about his prodigious and growing skills for stalling- going to bed, getting into bath, getting out of bath, going ever so slowly up the stairs. His best is when he has to 'clean up, clean up' which is hard to resist because you know you will have to do it later anyway, but then how long will it take him? In Dutch they call it 'pulling time'.

StephB said...

Dagny is doing that too - she knows that the potty request almost always works.

And, we have had no success in actually putting anything in the potty yet. Farkles, yes; poop/pee, no.

Sharon said...

Dorothy, if you get your two little ones potty trained before I do, I will be green with envy. Jacob still hasn't done anything in the potty, even though he sits on it. I think over Christmas break we will be drinking a lot of juice and spending some quality time on the potty.

Peg Odenthal said...

Tip from your older (and wiser) sister (how did i get to be mom of a toddler?!) I now give Brendan a "piggyback ride" up the stairs (imagine that!) at naptime because he can take up to 15 min JUST TO WALK UP THE STAIRS .. he thinks it's fun and i go straight to his room and drop him in his crib .. works like a charm ..

Bill Maier said...

My kids yell out "delay tactic" when they realize their brother is stalling for time. This is especially evident when doing Math falsh cards but is equally effective for showering, kitchen clean-up or any other chore.