Friday, June 06, 2008

New Season, New Template

Since we are now 2 whole weeks into our summer vacation, I decided a new look was in order. For the blog, that is. I am not sure about all the colors, but will fool with it again.

So school is out, and summer is in full swing here in GA. Sophie had her first camp this week, and it was a winner. This was her first experience at Girl Scout camp, and she has loved it. The days are long, 9-3, and she comes home famished, tired and filthy. All good. Except for last night, when the meltdown finally happened. I had an inkling we were due for one, the long days and heat were catching up with her. Terry finally had to carry her inside screaming and kicking, and I gave her a shower under duress, then sat with her in bed until she could finally calm down. She rarely has tantrums, I can't even remember the last one, but at 6 and a half, they sure can throw a doozy! This morning, a different child appeared, so apparently it was a necessary evil. Here are some pics from camp; I hope to volunteer there next year.





Among other things, each camper had to bring in a clean pizza box, which they fashioned into these solar ovens. They have made smores and haystacks (chow mein noodles with butterscotch chips) all to great acclaim. Today's snack was "taco in a bag" which I think involves a bag of Fritos, taco meat and cheese and lettuce.

We are also making great use of our neighborhood pool, going a few evenings a week. Michael and Emily enjoy it much more than last year, and are even jumping off the side now, as long as Terry or I hold their hands. Sophie is fully independent, going off the diving board and paddling to the side without any help. That she can be in the pool unassisted is great, b/c the other two have entered the "must have one on one supervision at the pool" stage big time. It can get dicey when Sophie wants Terry to throw her and I am in charge of both little ones. That's when snacks come in handy to keep them occupied.

I love this shot of Michael and Terry, he loves to shave with Daddy, just like Sophie used to. Emily would rather stay clean.

4 comments:

Mike Maier said...

Dor- great update- and love the template change- may have to do that ourselves when we make the next move.

Dorothy Gould said...

Thanks Mike, I tried to put in a tiny pic of myself like you have, but couldn't figure that out. Is it in the template?

I like the idea of a new template every now and then, keeps your perspective fresh.

StephB said...

I like the little photo too. : )

Dor, do your kiddos walk off of the step. Dagny has done this about three times - scaring the heck out of everyone each time.

Dorothy Gould said...

Steph,

They haven't done that yet, but I would imagine it's coming. They weren't at the pool much last summer, so it's really still new to them. Will she wear any type of floatation device? We have one of those speedo vests, I may get another one if they like it. Right now they are being held up by mom or dad with a noodle or raft.