Wednesday, October 11, 2006

5 Year Old Angst

Sophie turns 5 tomorrow. This is a HUGE deal, since she will get to bring snack (mom-made cupcakes) , show and tell, be the weather watcher and the line leader. Plus, her class will sing Happy Birthday, and she gets a crown to wear all day. The only downside? She is convinced that turning 5 means going to Kindergarten....immediately. As in, tomorrow she will leave Mt Zion and head off to Kindergarten. She brought this up a couple of days ago, and I explained to her that she would start Kindergarten next year. I guess when your concept of time is limited to the days of the week, this is hard to grasp. This morning I told her this was her last day as a 4 year old, and again she started the "I don't want to go to Kindergarten!" whine. So we had another chat about it, and I think now she gets it. She seemed comforted by the fact that for a whole 8 days, she will be 5 and Noah will still be 4. Nice, huh?

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY SOPHIE!!

A 5 year old is great! I know she will do it well! :)

StephB said...

Happy Birthday Sophie! : )