Thursday, January 03, 2008

Resolutions

My friend Paula, started her own blog this past week. You can check it out here.

Her ideas have got me thinking as well. I am all ready set to have a banner weekend of cleaning and purging toys and the like. The kids are going to their grandparents in Peachtree City for the weekend, so it is the perfect opportunity. But here's the thing....why do we end up with so much "stuff" in the first place? How much can 3 children actually play with, or actually need?

Way less than what we currently have, that's for sure.

The more toys, the more clutter, the more arguements about keeping the family room neat. It just snowballs.

So this year I resolve not to give in to the temptation of the cute toy that looks so good on Target's shelf, but once home, is played with for 15 minutes and then sits in the middle of the floor, abandoned. I also resolve to recycle and reuse more. Why buy brand new when I have so many options (twins club, friends, ebay) for used toys that are in great shape? The kids don't know the difference, and even if they did, it's a good lesson to teach them now.

Thanks Paula, for making me think.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Dorothy! Wow, I've actually had some people read my blog - it feels like opening night on Broadway!

You know, the best thing about used or hand-me-down toys? No packaging. Trying to remove a new Barbie from it's packaging can move me to tears. All those twist ties and rubber bands, I mean what are they afraid of? Barbie concusions and Lawyer Barbie lawsuits?

Anonymous said...

I can't spell my own name. P

Mike Maier said...

Dor- Word. its crazy difficult to not have the kiddy krap add up even when you try to be really conscious. I noticed a real difference at your place in the volume compared to last time. The hard part is gifts; I want to say to say sometimes, why don't you spend a half hour playing with my kid instead of giving him another plastic car? That would be a real gift.

Dorothy Gould said...

Mike, Thanks for the props, I am trying hard not to accumulate. Plus now we don't have swings, bouncy seats, high chairs, which is nice, Another great idea instead of a thing: take the child (age depending) to the playground, the zoo, etc. Make a memory..instead of a mess! Also $$ toward dance or swim lessons is also good, again age dependent. Glad you are back on the blog!